When you first get braces, the thought of what you can and cannot eat may seem overwhelming
Eating with braces can be a bit of a challenge, but it doesn’t have to be! Here are 7 tips on what you can eat while wearing braces:
- Soft fruits and vegetables: Apples, bananas, and cooked vegetables like broccoli and carrots are all good choices when you have braces. They are soft and easy to chew, and won’t damage your brackets or wires.
- Grains: Rice, pasta, and soft breads are all good options when you have braces. Just make sure to cut them into small pieces to make them easier to chew.
- Dairy products: Yogurt, cheese, and milk are all good choices. They are soft and easy to chew, and won’t damage your brackets or wires.
- Meat: Chicken, turkey, and fish are all good choices when you have braces. Just make sure to cut them into small pieces to make them easier to chew.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are high in protein and nutrients, but can be tough to chew. If you want to include them in your diet, try grinding them up or using nut butters instead.
- Soft desserts: Pudding, ice cream, and Jell-O are all good choices when you have braces. Just make sure to brush your teeth after eating to remove any food particles that might get stuck.
- Drinks: Water is the best choice, but you can also have other drinks like milk and smoothies. Just make sure to avoid sugary drinks like soda and sports drinks, as they can cause tooth decay.
It’s important to remember that while these options are safe to eat with braces, it’s still important to brush and floss regularly to prevent food from getting stuck in your braces.
Overall, the key to eating with braces is to choose soft, easy-to-chew foods that won’t damage your brackets or wires. Additionally, be sure to avoid hard, sticky, or sugary foods that can also increase your risk for tooth decay. With a little bit of planning, you can still enjoy a varied and nutritious diet, and keep a nice smile.